A thesis projects starts with finding a topic to do research on. Along with the topic you will have to find a lecturer to supervise your research project. Often topic and supervisor depend on each other; a researcher will want to supervise projects that are in his research area and that fit within the ongoing research project. Also the topic you will research needs to be approved by the thesis exam committee.
So to find a suitable topic you will have to do some research to answer the following questions:
- What aspects of software technology do I find interesting?
- Where do I want to go after I graduate, industry or research?
- What are the ongoing research projects?
- Which companies provide interesting research opportunities?
To find the answers to these questions you should talk
- to you mentor about your talents and ambitions
- to lecturers of courses you found interesting about their research projects
- to fellow and former students
and you should read
- web sites about research projects
- papers published in those projects
- master's theses
- leading/recent articles in the research area
You can use the LiteratureStudy?
credits to do some reading.
The result of this phase is that you have found a supervisor and a topic.
The next step is writing a thesis proposal
to make the topic into a project.