Lab Assignments 02
Pt these are the assignments for the 2002 installment of the course and will be adapted
The lab work for the course is divided in two parts. In the first part you learn the
basic techniques of program transformation with rewriting strategies (3 weeks). In
the second part you apply these techniques in the construction of a partial evaluator
for Tiger programs (4 weeks). The assignments are done using the Stratego program
transformation language, see CourseSoftware
Assignment 1 (Week 2 - 4)
Deadline: Tuesday, January 28, 2003
This series of exercises is designed to explore various program transformation techniques.
The results should be handed in together.
The following package provides a skeleton for the exercises.
The package should be handed in in the same format after changing the package name to your login.
The package should be built using following commands
- ./configure --prefix=`pwd` --with-xt=/usr --with-tiger=/usr
- make check
Specifications of the each part will be provided on this page.
- simple syntax definition
- derive signature
- derive pretty-printer
- write simplification rules using innermost
- set-up simple transformation pipeline using Makefile
- reimplement the transformation rules using concrete syntax
- staged simplification of arithmetic expressions using simple strategies
- write a number of small (traversal) strategies
Composing Transformation Systems
- Profiler: write a transformation that instruments Tiger programs with code to measure the performance (call frequency) of programs.
Assignment 2 (Week 5 - 8)
Deadline: Monday, February 24, 2003
Write a partial evaluator for Tiger programs.
The following restrictions are imposed on Tiger programs:
- no arrays
- no assignments to record fields
The target for the partial evaluator is the specialization of
the intepreter of term rewrite systems trs.tig. The partial
evaluator should be able to specialize this interpreter to
any rewrite system.
Constant Record Propagation
- extend the constant propagation with propagation of constant records.
- extend the constant propagation with propagation of variables and records with variables.
Unfolding Function Calls
- extend the the copy propagation transformation with unfolding of function calls