Utrecht University is among Europe's largest and most prominent institutions for research and education. The Faculty of Science consists of six departments: Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Information and Computing Sciences, Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry and Mathematics.
The Faculty is home to 3500 students and nearly 2000 staff and is internationally renowned for the quality of its research. The Faculty's academic programs reflect the developments in science and society today. Its Undergraduate School and Graduate Schools in Natural Sciences and in Life Sciences guarantee the outstanding quality of its BSc, MSc and PhD programs.
The Department of Information and Computing Sciences (`Departement Informatica') organizes and teaches the BSc curricula in Computer Science and in Information Science as well as the MSc programs in Agent Technology, Applied Computing Science, Game and Media Technology, Software Technology, Business Informatics and Knowledge Engineering. The Department currently has 8 full professorships, 60 tenured faculty, 50 PhD students, 15 postdocs, and over 700 students in its BSc and MSc programs. Its focus areas are Game, Media and Agent Technology and Information and Software Systems.
Among the Department's leading clusters for research is the Center for Advanced Gaming and Simulation (AGS), a joint leading edge research center in cooperation with TNO and the Utrecht School of the Arts (HKU) in the area of gaming, simulation and virtual reality. The Department is internationally recognized for its research excellence.
The Department of Information and Computing Sciences (Faculty of Science) invites applications for aProfessor of Computer Science - Multimedia (Leerstoel Multimedia) (1,0 fte)
Multimedia research in Utrecht is characterized by its emphasis on the design of effective algorithms, data structures and interfaces for the storage, retrieval and manipulation of multimedia data like images, videos, music, geographic and 3D models, and animations and all other computer science aspects of their embedding in multimedia information systems of all kinds. Novel themes ranging from multimedia retrieval to graphics and 3D modelling and the design of virtual worlds for serious gaming characterize the development of the field.
As full professor, you will lead the scientific development of this area in the context of the modern trends in research. Your task will be to pursue your own research program in a relevant sub-area and develop and lead a scientific group in Multimedia. You will supervise PhD students in both fundamental and application-oriented research according to the guidelines for PhD research programs of the Graduate School of Natural Sciences. You will be active in new initiatives and in the acquisition of external research funds.
You will also actively take part and lead in teaching, and contribute to the development of the department's curriculum at both the BSc and the MSc level, with a special responsibility for the relevant parts in multimedia. In particular, you will be co-responsible for the MSc program in Game and Media Technology (jointly with the chair in Games and Virtual Worlds) and the related undergraduate minor, and the supervision of MSc and BSc students in these programs.
Finally, you will be required to take an active role in the normal leadership duties at the group, department or faculty level.
Candidates must have an excellent record of expertise in the computer science - multimedia domain, exemplified by:
Utrecht University employs a quality system for teaching and research. This means that, in addition to having a PhD in the relevant domain of Computer Science, a successful candidate must also possess appropriate senior-level academic teaching and research qualifications.
- PhD in computer science or in another relevant science discipline
- Outstanding research achievements in areas of research relevant to the chair
- Excellent track record of international publications in leading journals and peer-reviewed conferences
- Experience in the application of methods and (software-)techniques for design and development of multimedia information systems.
- Readiness to contribute to, and provide leadership in, collaborative research programs and the acquisition of external research funds.
- Experience and proven ability to supervise PhD projects
- Proven interest in Computer Science as a whole and in new developments in the multimedia field proper and in other areas.
- In-depth knowledge of the scholarly and applied developments of the field and their relevance for curriculum renewal.
- Experience in and enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision, and ability to contribute to teaching in both the BSc and MSc programs in the department, in particular to the MSc program in Game and Media Technology.
- Experience and leadership in shaping the curriculum and further development of programs at the BSc and MSc level, in your own field and in other related (undergraduate/graduate) courses.
- Didactic talent and experience in developing and teaching academic courses and curricula and corresponding teaching materials, at all levels.
- Academic leadership:
- Active role in leading (national and international) activities in the area of the chair, in scientific and/or societal communities.
- Establish and/or maintain an international network of research partnerships with other leading research groups and institutions in the relevant field.
- Skills for leading and motivating a team of researchers, PhD- and MSc research students at top level
- Experience with curriculum development and quality control in teaching academic programs, and the ability to lead and coach (beginning) lecturers
- Experience in normal faculty duties
We offer a permanent position of full professor at 1.0 fte. The gross salary depends on qualifications and experience and ranges between € 4.803,- and € 6.995,- per month for a full time appointment (salary scale H2, Dutch Universities Conditions of Employment).
The salary is supplemented with an annual holiday bonus of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 6,4% per year. Other secondary conditions include e.g. a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions in which one may trade some salary for some vacation days or vice versa.
For additional information please contact the Chairman of the Search Committee: Prof. dr. Jan van Leeuwen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +31 (0)30 253.4001 or +31 (0)30 253.4116.
Please send your application including a motivation, a curriculum vitae, a list of publications and contact details of at least two references before June 30, 2008 to:Publication date 08-05-2008Faculty of Scienceor by e-mail to:
attn. Mrs H. Blom
P.O. Box 80.010
3508 TA Utrecht