To be allowed to start with the Phase-2 of the final project without specific approval by the AI programme leader, you must meet all of the following requirements.
If you do not meet all these requirements, then you can only start with the Msc project after approval by the AI programme leader.
- You have passed all mandatory courses (general and per track);
- you have obtained at least 60 ECTS;
- You have passed INFOMAI1;
Phase-2 (25 EC)
The second part comprises 25 ECTS (i.e. 17-18 weeks full-time). You will complete (at least) the following items:
- Perform and complete your research according to your plan (Phase 1).
- Write your thesis that presents your research and its results. On approval of your supervisor, you can choose to write the thesis in the form of a scientific conference or journal paper, plus the needed appendix.
- Present and defend your results and conclusion.
Phase-2 assessment criteria. Your thesis is assessed using the following criteria:
- Scientific quality.
This concerns the level and importance of the your results. Are the results publishable as a scientific paper? The difficulty of the problem that you solve also plays an important role, as well as the amount/extent of the work you carry out. These are aspects that are important: the effectiveness of the chosen approach, completeness and preciseness of the literature study, arguments for the choices made, insight in the limitations of the chosen approach, proper interpretation of the results achieved, level of abstraction, convincing argument, proofs or statistical analysis.
- Your work process.
This concerns your ability to work independently, to take initiative, to position your work in a broader context, to adapt to new requirements and developments, and to finish the thesis on time.
- Your contribution.
This concerns the degree of your own contribution and the originality of your ideas.
- Writing presentation.
This concerns the ability to clearly formulate problems, to summarize the results, to compare them with related scientific work elsewhere, and to suggest future research lines.
This also concerns clear, consistent, and unambiguous use of language in the thesis. The text should give the readers confidence in that you understand the chronology, structure, and logical entities in your own text; and thus know what you write.
- Oral presentation
Please pay attention that if you cannot manage to complete the project by the planned end-date, you will still be evaluated on that date. If this results in an insufficient grade, or a “not completed” grade, with a valid reason, you are allowed to have an extension of maximum 1/3 of the nominal original length. Your grade will be capped on 8 (and therefore you can’t graduate Cum Laude). Please read the whole Delay Protocol; you can find it here; but for your convenience here is a
direct link to it.
The requirements to receive a cum laude include that your Phase-2 grade should be at least 8.5.
Thesis project protocol
Procedure around the completion of your project
The Msc Thesis is assessed according to the criteria specified in the research assessment form.
If you want to attend other defenses before defending your own thesis, then please take note of the announcements of thesis defenses posted via de AI mailing list.
- Reserve a time and room for your thesis defense with the Department's secretariat (email@example.com).
- inform the AI programme coordinator about the details of your defense (title, abstract, date, time, room).
- He will send an announcement to all AI students via the AI mailing list.
- Prepare a presentation about your research that is understandable by fellow students.
- Your defense will be 45 minutes long; 30 minutes for your presentation, and the last 15 minutes for questioning.
- After the defense, the supervisor(s) together with second examinator will determine the grade and announce it to you
- After you have obtained your grade, your supervisor will send the research assessment form to the Student Affairs Office.
- Upload the final version of your thesis to IGITUR. Don't forget this, because this is a requirement before you can graduate!