INFOMMMI (Multimodal Interaction), 2017-2018, 3rd quarter
This is the website for the upcoming course on Multimodal Interaction in the GMT master program.
Details will be posted here by the end of the 2nd period.
Students who are interested and consider taking this course are encouraged to browse
last year's website
(if you want access to the slides, sent an email to
Lectures for this year's course will be pretty much the same; first, Peter Werkhoven
will give a few lectures covering mostly the basics behind multimodal (multisensory)
perception and interaction, followed by some lectures on Virtual Reality and a few
other emerging topics (Brain-Computer Interfaces, etc.). Then, Wolfgang Hürst
will be giving some lectures about Augmented Reality.
For the practical part, we will make some changes compared to last year, mostly based
on the feedback that we got from the students. Most importantly, there will be no
essay anymore, but the project will extend over the duration of the whole course.
We are also trying to organize some hardware for that (e.g., some VR headsets),
but the details are not clear yet.
In the project, you will be doing some experiments related to multimodal interaction
in a group together with several of your fellow students. There is some flexibility
and freedom in chosing your topic, which is also why there are no pre-requirements
or necessary expertise that is needed to join the course (we can build the groups
and select your topics accordingly).
For formalities (time, dates, etc.) and registration, please check
the official CS website of the course
and OSIRIS (you find the link on the CS site). If you have any related questions, please email them to
The course will start with a lecture on Wednesday, February 7th.
Notice that we consider attendance to the lectures mandatory
even if we do not explicitly check it.
(some changes may apply)
- Wed, Feb 07, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 1; intro & vision, motion, stereo (P. Werkhoven)
- Mon, Feb 12, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 2; hearing, touch, multimodal (P. Werkhoven)
- Wed, Feb 14, 2018, 09:00-10:45, project; introduction (W. Hürst)
- Mon, Feb 19, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 3; VR technology, human factors (P. Werkhoven)
- Wed, Feb 21, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 4; emotions, BCI & cyborgs (P. Werkhoven)
- Mon, Feb 26, 2018, 09:00-10:45, project; pitches (W. Hürst)
- Wed, Feb 28, 2018, 09:00-10:45, guest lecture, Q&As part 1 (P. Werkhoven & guest)
- Mon, Mar 05, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 5; AR technology, human factors(W. Hürst)
- Wed, Mar 07, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 6; AR non-visual and multimodal, interaction I (W. Hürst)
- Mon, Mar 12, 2018, 09:00-10:45, lecture 7; AR interaction II, Q&As part 2 (W. Hürst)
- Wed, Mar 14, 2018, 09:00-10:45, project; intermediate presentation & meetings (W. Hürst)
- Mon, Mar 19, 2018, project work
- Wed, Mar 21, 2018, project work
- Mon, Mar 26, 2018, project work
- Wed, Mar 28, 2018, project work
- Mon, Apr 02, 2018, Easter Monday
- Wed, Apr 04, 2018, 09:00-10:45, project; presentations
- Mon, Apr 09, 2018, 08:30-10:30, exam
- Mon, Jul 02, 2018, 08:30-10:30, retake exam