CENTER FOR ALGORITHMIC SYSTEMS
MSc Programme ``Computing Science"
Seminar: Computational Sustainability (MCS)
(In case of considerable interest in the seminar, participants will be working in groups
of two or three for the presentations part of the seminar. The term papers remain
- Lecturers: dr.ir Marjan van den Akker, prof.dr.ir Han La Poutré,
prof.dr Jan van Leeuwen.
Stefan Fafianie, Mira Kaiser, Theodosios Kalfas, Ioannis Katsikarelis,
Jasper Klein, Jonathan Lukkien, Ralph van der Neut,
Derek de Rie, Mircea Cretu Stancu, Judith Stoef.
- Tuesday   13.15-15.00, in: BBL 075, and
- Thursday   9.00-10.45, in: BBL 075.
- First meeting: Tuesday, April 23, 13.15-15.00 (in: BBL
- Term paper: instructions; topics: see
topics (this page).
- Grades: first presentation round.
- Office: BBL 508/505, tel. 030-25343989/4001, office hours: by appointment,
email to lecturer.
- Attendance, check list.
- Back to main.
NB Details will be filled in as the seminar progresses.
Links etc direct to the seminar material. The material is required reading for all. Other
references are for additional study. Intermediate feedback on grades is given after the
first full round of presentations.
- Tuesday, 23 April
Speaker: Jan van Leeuwen
- Thursday, 25 April
Speaker: Marjan van den Akker
- Tuesday, 30 April
No class: Koninginnedag.
- Thursday, 2 May
Speakers: Han La Poutré
- Smart energy systems: issues, developments, presentation.
- Preliminaries: game-theoretic notions, auctions.
- Assignment: begin choosing topic/paper(s) for
your term paper
Specifications are listed here.
- Tuesday, 7 May - Power systems planning
Speakers: Mira Kaiser (A), Theodosios Kalfas (B)
Response: Ralph van der Neut (A), Derek de Rie (B)
- Thursday, 9 May
No class: Ascension Day.
- Tuesday, 14 May - Energy planning
Speakers: Ioannis Katsikarelis (C), Jasper Klein (D)
Response: Mircea Cretu Stancu (C), Judith Stoef (D)
- Thursday, 16 May - Energy saving by balancing
Speakers: Jonathan Lukkien (E), Stefan Fafianie (F)
Response: Mira Kaiser (E), Theodosios Kalfas (F)
- Friday, 17 May
Assignment: topic/paper(s) for your term paper
- Tuesday, 21 May
No class: herkansingsweek
- Thursday, 23 May
No class: herkansingsweek
- Tuesday, 28 May - Energy-limited sensor networks
Speakers: Ralph van der Neut (G), Judith Stoef (H)
Response: Ioannis Katsikarelis (G), Jasper Klein (H)
- Thursday, 30 May - Energy-aware routing
Speakers: Mircea Cretu Stancu (I), Derek de Rie (J)
Response: Jonathan Lukkien (I), Stefan Fafianie (J)
- Tuesday, 4 June - Energy utilization in wireless sensor networks
Speakers: Mira Kaiser (K), Theodosios Kalfas (L)
Response: Ralph van der Neut (K), Judith Stoef (L)
- Thursday, 6 June - Powermatcher and electricity trading
Speakers: Ioannis Katsikarelis (M), Stefan Fafianie (N)
Response: Mircea Cretu Stancu (M), Derek de Rie (N)
- Tuesday, 11 June - Storing and dispatching electricity
Speakers: Jonathan Lukkien (O), Jasper Klein (P)
Response: Mira Kaiser (O), Theodosios Kalfas (P)
- Thursday, 13 June - Mechanisms for electricity markets
Speakers: Ralph van der Neut (Q), Judith Stoef (R)
Response: Ioannis Katsikarelis (Q), Stefan Fafianie (R)
- Tuesday, 18 June - Mechanisms for e-vehicle
Speakers: Mircea Cretu Stancu (S), Derek de Rie (T)
Response: Jonathan Lukkien (S), Jasper Klein (T)
- Thursday, 20 June
No class: Work on term paper.
- Tuesday, 25 June - (Reserve, work on term paper)
Speakers: Mircea Cretu Stancu (S)
Response: Jonathan Lukkien (S)
- Thursday, 27 June
Speakers: all (U)
- U: Flash talks: 5-minute presentations about the chosen topics (`what is
it about', `what type of results', `what is your opinion').
- Friday, 28 June
Assignment: term papers on assigned topic/paper(s)
- V: Strict deadline: Monday morning, July 2nd, 09.00 AM. (Mailbox closed after
- Theodosios Kalfas -> Auction strategies for the day ahead electricity
- Jonathan Lukkien -> SmartCharge: a recap of the past and forecast for the
- Judith Stoef -> The N-k problem in power grids.
- Jasper Klein -> Designing AC power grids using Integer Linear
- Mira Kaiser -> Placing relay nodes in wireless sensor networks.
- Ralph van der Neut -> Energy balancing in wireless sensor networks using
- Mircea Cretu Stancu -> A proposed model for learning policies for
battery usage optimization in electric vehicles.
- Derek de Rie -> Bike-sharing systems: history, data mining, operational
costs, and network design.
- Stefan Fafianie -> The valve location problem.
- Ioannis Katsikarelis -> Designing wildlife corridors for multiple species.
- Tuesday, 2 July
No class: tentamenweek
- Thursday, 4 July
No class: tentamenweek
This website is intended for educational purposes only. Linked presentations and
articles are only intended for private use in the seminar. All information from external
sources should be cited by their original reference, to obey copyrights whereever
applicable. Any rights issues remaining are unintended and will be eliminated as soon as
they become known to us. We do not accept any responsibility for any contents this
website links to outside our own realm.
Last modified: July, 2013