How to successfully present your work at the MBI Colloquium
Top 10 ingredients for a successful presentation
Below you'll find some useful guidelines to help you optimally prepare for your MBI Colloquium presentations.
- First of all, ensure that you transfer your PowerPoint 2000-compatible or PDF presentation to the Windows XP PC/laptop in the presentation classroom before 9:00, to avoid losing
valuable time due to various technical problems, mostly due to the notoriously fragile USB and internet connections of the BBL-PC's. See the next tip for the best solution.
- Upload your presentation to BSCW for inclusion in the Presentation Archive. If you do this before you present your research, then you'll automatically avoid the pitfalls mentioned in the previous tip. Refer to the final paragraph on this page for details on the expected file name format.
- Include one slide on the organisation where you perform your thesis resarch project.
- Briefly mention the people who support and supervise your research.
- Define the central terms and concepts, with scientific references.
- Present the research question as early as possible in your presentation (and not only after 10 minutes).
- Explain which model you apply in your research, and why.
- Elaborate on the validity and reliability of the results to clarify the scientific component of your work, especially in your second presentation.
- Get inspired by previously held presentations from your fellow students by browsing the presentation archive.
- Keep on track, be on time! The egg timer will go off after 15 minutes if this is your first presentation, or after 20 minutes if this is your second talk. Avoid being smothered before having presented your conclusions. The remaining time (between 5-10 minutes) is reserved for feedback and questions from the audience.
Your presentations will not be graded explicitly.
However, the results will be accounted for in your final MBI thesis grade.
Finally, please upload your PowerPoint presentations to BSCW for future reference and as a service to your fellow MBI students.
The folder is accessible to current MBI students only.
Click on Submit your Presentation in the upper-right corner of this page.
Please note the following naming convention in the folder description area: Before uploading, please verify that the name of your presentation files conform to the following format:
yyyy-mm-dd - YourFullName.ppt (note the spaces around the dash).
Good luck with your presentations and thesis research!